The 2023 Tennis Alberta Annual General Meeting, held on June 29, provided an opportunity for the tennis community to meet with Tennis Alberta, share successes from 2022, and elect new board members.
Tennis Alberta would like to thank the dedicated service of the following board members who have ended their terms: Tom MacInnis, Alex Molotsky, Jonathan Yee, and Erin Silverman. We welcome to the board Jessica Fu, Patrick Thomas, Barbara Rypien and Matias Grum.
2023-2024 BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Michael Bennett, President
- Chris Zelyas, Vice-President
- Jessica Fu, VP Finance
- Marlene Gukert, Secretary
- Jerrold Diamond, Director
- Claire Auroi, Director
- Patrick Thomas, Director
- Barbara Rypien, Director
- Matias Grum, Director
Through 2022 and into 2023, Tennis Alberta focused on expanding tournament offerings, supporting community outreach initiatives across the province, and continued education for the community through coaching courses and Community Facilitator Training courses.
A crucial piece to the development of tennis in Alberta continues to be the need for additional affordable, accessible year-round tennis facilities. With the support of funding from Tennis Canada, the Saville Community Sports Centre recently opened six additional year-round courts. This additional courts will help serve the many Edmonton residents looking to play tennis, but it is still not enough to meet the demand. Tennis Alberta is working diligently with local partners, and various levels of government to explore every option to build the facilities needed in our province.
In 2023 Tennis Alberta will target several important initiatives, including:
- Community Outreach & Support: Tennis is popular in every corner of Alberta. Tennis Alberta plans to continue to work on the local level with seasonal, regional clubs to grow their capacity through community visits tailored for their club.
- Awareness: A key component of advocating for more tennis facilities is growing awareness of the sport and its many benefits. From government relations at the provincial and municipal level, to free Try Tennis events for children and adults, to communicating Alberta’s unique needs to Tennis Canada, Tennis Alberta is dedicated to demonstrating that tennis is a sport-for-life.
Tennis Alberta wishes to thank all stakeholders who participated in the AGM. We look forward to continuing to grow the sport and the tennis community in Alberta, working with our valued club partners, sponsors/brand partners, and individual members.