Alberta Junior Tennis On Display in Back-to-Back February Tournaments
Hold on to your rackets. For two weekends in February, Alberta’s best junior tennis players will go head-to-head. Ranking points are on the line. First is the MNP Junior Champs U 12 and U16, hosted by Edmonton on February 8-11 at the Royal Glenora Club. The next weekend Calgary hosts the MNP Junior Champs U14 and U18 on February 15-18 at the Alberta Tennis Centre.
Alberta currently boasts one Junior player in the top 10 in Canada. We have another 8 in the top 20. Possibly, after the February tournaments, we could double our numbers and have two in the top ten!
Alberta Juniors in Canada’s Top Twenty
Our top ten national Junior player is Nawal Issam Youssef. She is currently ranked #8 in Canada in the U12 girls division. Way to go Nawal! Other top 20 players include two with Nawal in the U12, four in the U14, and one in U18—four boys and four girls.
- Nawal Issam Youssef (U12 girls)—congratulations on your national ranking of 8th. You are in the top 10!
- Joshua Oboniye (U14 boys)—one place to go, currently ranked 11th in Canada.
- Mia Kupres (U14 girls)—so close to top ten, currently ranked 12th
- Gianna Oboniye (U12 girls), Kai Baerg (U12 boys), and Cleeve Harper (U18 boys) —all currently ranked 15th in their age divisions, in Canada.
- Tyler Waddock (U14 boys)—at #18 in Canada.
- Martyna Ostrzygalo (U14 girls) —#20 in Canada.
Good luck in February to all the competitors. Enjoy the journey and remember “it’s only tennis” (quote from Roger Federer during a post-match interview at the 2018 Australian Open). Fans are welcome to drop into the Royal Glenora in Edmonton (Feb. 8-11) and the Alberta Tennis Centre in Calgary (Feb. 15-18) for some high quality tennis. For up-to-date results, go to the The Tennis Alberta web site.